In order to make a claim for damages after a car or truck accident in Austin, Texas, you’ll need to show either that you are not at fault for the accident or that the other driver was more at fault for your crash. In Texas, if you are found to have any liability for the accident, your damages could be reduced by the amount of liability you may have. Don’t know who was at fault following your car or truck accident? That’s to be expected. Determining liability isn’t always straightforward and sometimes it can be complex. The Robson Law Firm are personal injury lawyers in Austin, Texas who may be able to assist you with determining liability after a crash.
What makes one driver at fault for an accident? Generally, drivers are liable for accidents when they owed a duty of care and failed to honor that duty of care either through negligence or neglect. Negligence can result when drivers break the rules of the road, when they drive recklessly, or due to other factors. In many car accidents, both parties may have played some role in the crash. Determining who is responsible for paying for damages, medical expenses, lost wages, and other losses after an accident can sometimes be complex. This is where the Robson Law Firm can help.
There are many factors that can lead to car and truck accidents in Austin, Texas. The Robson Law Firm are personal injury lawyers who can review your case, determine who may have been at fault for your accident, and fight to help you get the settlement you may deserve under the law. Here are some leading causes of car crashes:
- Distracted Driving. Drivers have a responsibility to put down their cell phones and to pay attention to the road. However, many drivers fail to follow the law when it comes to avoiding texting and driving. When drivers are distracted, they can end up in serious accidents that can result in injuries or death. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, distracted driving led to 3,166 deaths in 2017 alone. These numbers don’t begin to account for the many more drivers injured each year due to distracted driving. While distracted driving can be difficult to prove, sometimes drivers leave evidence through text messages, through interactions on social media, and through call logs. The Robson Law Firm are personal injury lawyers in Austin, Texas who can investigate your case and fight to help you get the claim you may deserve under the law.
- Drunk Driving. According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, every year, an estimated 290,000 people are injured in drunk driving accidents. If another driver was drunk and crashed into you, this driver will most likely be found negligent for your crash. Police often require drunk drivers to submit to breath or blood tests after an accident, which can then be used as evidence if you need to make a claim against negligent parties or insurers.
- Violations of the Law. Speeding, running red lights, running stop signs, and improper lane changes are all violations of traffic law that can result in a driver being found at fault for an accident. In the aftermath of a crash, if you call the police, the police may ticket one or both drivers. If the other driver was ticketed for violating the law, you may have a case and may be able to seek damages for your losses.
- Driver Inexperience. Younger drivers are more likely to make mistakes behind the wheel. Additionally, younger drivers may be more at risk if they engage in distracted driving or if they have other passengers in their vehicle.
- Drowsy Drivers. Research indicates that driving while sleepy can be just as dangerous as driving while drunk. While drowsy driving might seem hard to prove, sometimes your personal injury lawyer may be able to properly investigate your accident to determine whether the other driver had just gotten off an overnight shift, had been driving all night, or otherwise may have not been well-rested.
- Road Rage and Reckless Driving. Acts of aggression behind the wheel. Drag racing. And other misuses of a vehicle might not only be prosecuted as criminal acts, but they can also lead to personal injury claims. If you have been hurt due to another person’s road rage, reckless driving, or misuse of a vehicle, you may have the right to make a claim under the law.
- Unsafe Roads. If you were hurt in an accident because of unsafe road conditions or because construction crews failed to properly maintain roads, you may have the right to seek damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
The Robson Law Firm are personal injury attorneys in Austin, Texas who may be able to help you determine liability and make a claim after a crash.