The Robson Law Firm are truck accident lawyers in Austin, Texas who may be able to help you if you’ve been the victim of a truck crash. Truck accident claims can be more complicated than car accident claims because truck drivers and truck companies are required to abide by strict federal laws that govern commercial vehicles and their drivers. One of the most important factors that will determine the value of your claim will be whether the truck driver broke the law. Because there are many truck laws and regulations, it can be helpful to have a truck accident lawyer on your side, investigating the circumstances of your accident and fighting for your rights. The Robson Law Firm are truck accident lawyers in Austin, Texas who may be able to help you seek damages for your losses after a serious crash.
In the aftermath of a truck accident, you and your family might have many questions. Unlike a car accident, where there may just be two drivers involved and their insurance companies, a truck accident may involve a range of involved parties, from the truck driver to the truck company to their insurance companies. Truck companies and drivers may have insurance policies with limits in the millions of dollars. If you’ve been seriously injured in a truck accident in Austin, Texas, you need a truck accident lawyer to help you navigate the claims process. Contact the Robson Law Firm, a truck accident lawyer in Austin, Texas today.
Truck Accident Laws and Truck Accident Personal Injury Cases
In the aftermath of a crash, many factors may have contributed to your accident. One of the ways your truck accident lawyer can determine negligence on the part of a truck driver or truck company is by showing that the other party broke federal or local trucking laws. What are some of these laws?
- Federal hours of service laws. Truck drivers are required to take regular breaks and can only drive a commercial truck for 11-hours before they are required to take a break. While many truck drivers follow the law, some truck companies put immense pressure on truck drivers to meet tight schedules. This might result in some truck drivers exceeding the limits of how long they can drive. The Robson Law Firm are truck accident lawyers in Austin, Texas who can review driver logs, review shipping schedules, and investigate the truck company to see if there might have been a culture that encouraged long hours. Research has shown that fatigued driving can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. If a truck driver involved in your crash broke hours of service laws, you and your family may be entitled to seek damages for your lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering.
- Maintenance. Truck companies are required to perform yearly inspections on their vehicles and some commercial vehicles must have daily inspections. When truck companies cut corners and fail to perform thorough inspections or when they fail to perform required maintenance on vehicles, truck accidents can occur. The Robson Law Firm are truck accident lawyers in Austin, Texas who can review maintenance logs. We can ask tough questions—like, when was the last time the truck’s tires were changed, or when was the last time the brakes were checked by a professional? When truck companies fail to maintain tires or brakes, catastrophic failures can occur.
- Medical requirements for drivers. Drivers are required to meet strict medical requirements. Certain types of medications and illnesses can impact a driver’s ability to perform his or her duties. When truck companies fail to vet their drivers or when drivers fail to inform their employers about changes to their health, accidents can happen. The Robson Law Firm are truck accident lawyers in Austin, Texas who can look into when the truck driver who may have been responsible for your accident last had a medical exam and our firm can ask to see whether the driver was on any medication which might have impacted his or her ability to drive.
- Loading requirements. Truck companies are required to properly load vehicles and are required to properly secure loads. Failure to do this can result in rollover accidents. Overloaded vehicles can take longer to stop or brakes and tires can fail if they are not designed to handle the loads. The Robson Law Firm are Austin, Texas truck accident lawyers who can investigate how the truck involved in your accident might have been loaded.
- Vetting drivers. Truck companies may have a responsibility to properly vet drivers before they hire them. If a truck company failed to properly look into a driver’s record or medical history, the truck company could be held liable for your accident. The Robson Law Firm are Austin, Texas truck accident lawyers who may be able to assist you.
These are just some of the laws and regulations that truck companies must follow. If you or a loved one were hurt in a truck accident, determining negligence on the part of the truck company or driver will be your personal injury lawyer’s first step when evaluating your case. The value of your case may depend on how much at fault the truck driver can be held for your accident. One way a truck driver or truck company can be shown to be at fault is when truck drivers or truck companies violate laws designed to protect the safety of the general public. If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident, contact the Robson Law Firm, Austin, Texas truck accident lawyers today to learn more and to protect your rights.
Holding Truck Companies Accountable
If you were hurt in a truck accident, you may have important rights under the law. For example, you and your family may be entitled to seek damages for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, you may only have a limited amount of time to make a claim under the law. The Robson Law Firm are truck accident lawyers in Austin, Texas who fight for victims’ rights and hold truck companies accountable when they break the law.