One of the most dangerous types of truck accidents are jackknife truck accidents. These accidents are particularly dangerous because they not only involve an out-of-control truck, but they can involve a truck trailer often crossing multiple lanes of traffic. Truck jackknife accidents happen when the trailer of the truck overtakes the cabin, often causing the trailer to fold in on the truck’s cabin, like a knife. When you see an accident where a truck’s trailer is at a right angle or at an angle to the truck’s cabin, this is a truck jackknife accident.
When jackknife accidents happen, passenger vehicles can get hit, with devastating consequences. Once a jackknife accident begins, it can be very difficult for a truck driver to regain control of the vehicle and reverse the process. However, there are many things a truck driver and truck company can do before a jackknife accident begins to prevent these accidents from taking place.
If you or someone you love was hurt in a jackknife truck accident in Austin, Texas, you and your family might be entitled to seek damages to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The Robson Law Firm are jackknife truck accident lawyers in Austin, Texas who work closely with victims and families in the aftermath of a truck accident to help them seek the settlement they may deserve under the law. Contact our firm today for a free initial consultation during which we can review your case, provide you with an honest assessment of your claim, and help you take the next steps.
Preventing Jackknife Accidents
Jackknife accidents can happen for many reasons. Once a truck has begun to jackknife, it can be very difficult to reverse the process. However, there are things that truck companies and drivers can do to prevent jackknife accidents from happening before they start.
- Drivers Should Maintain Proper Speeds for Conditions. One of the causes of jackknife accidents is speeding. If a driver is going too fast for conditions or traffic and needs to hit the brakes suddenly, the truck can jackknife. If you were hurt in a truck accident where a truck was driving too fast for conditions, you may be entitled to seek damages for your losses from the truck company or driver. Drivers sometimes speed for a variety of reasons. Sometimes truck companies ask drivers to maintain unreasonable shipping and delivery schedules. If this is the case, the truck company, as well as the driver, could potentially be held accountable for your accident.
- Improperly Maintained Brakes. If the truck’s rear brakes lock before the cabin’s brakes lock, or if the rear brakes are stronger at braking than the front brakes, the truck can jackknife. Truck companies have a responsibility to maintain their vehicles. The Robson Law Firm is a truck accident lawyer in Austin, Texas that can review a truck company’s maintenance records to ensure that they were properly maintaining their vehicles. If the truck company failed to maintain its vehicles, the company could be held liable for your accident.
- Driver Fatigue. Truck drivers are required to abide by Federal hours of service laws that govern how long drivers can be on the road. If a driver is too tired, he or she may take actions like braking suddenly or speeding, which can result in lost control of the truck. The Robson Law Firm is a truck accident attorney in Austin, Texas that works closely with victims and families to help them seek damages if a truck driver violated hours of service laws. Sometimes truck companies place excessive demands on their drivers, which can result in fatigued drivers.
- If a truck is too close to the car in front of it, and then needs to brake suddenly, a jackknife accident can happen.
- Failing to Consider Road Conditions. Taking a turn too sharply, or driving too fast for road conditions in poor weather can also put a truck at risk of jackknifing.
These are just some of the causes of truck jackknifing accidents. If a truck driver or truck company’s negligence resulted in your truck accident in Austin, Texas, you may have the right to seek damages for your losses, including medical bills, rehabilitation expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The Robson Law Firm are truck accident attorneys who can review the various factors leading up to your accident and can fight to help you with your claim.
Seek Justice for Your Truck Accident Injuries
If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident, you may only have a limited amount of time to make a claim under the law. The Robson Law Firm are truck accident lawyers in Austin, Texas who can review your case, evaluate the causes of your accident, and help you seek damages for your losses. Our firm can provide you with an honest assessment of your case today. Contact our firm today for a free initial consultation or reach out to USAttorneys.com to get connected with a truck accident law firm today.