Despite the continued campaigns that advise drivers not to consume alcohol before getting behind the wheel, many continue to do so – often with dire consequences. This hazardous behavior is frequently supported by dram shop staff and owners who choose to over-serve patrons who are obviously intoxicated.
Drunk Drivers Often Face Both Criminal and Civil Cases
If your claim is successful, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Property damage;
- Past and future medical expenses;
- Loss of earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental anguish;
- Loss of consortium;
- Past and future lost wages; and
- Punitive damages.
What Should I Do If I Spot a Drunk Driver on the Road?
All drivers should know how to respond when they see a drunken motorist on the road. Some people assume that the best course of action is to make the driver stop, but this can actually cause that person to crash.
Instead, follow these three steps:
- Stay as far away from the other vehicle as possible. Do not try to pass the car or stop its driver;
- Take note of the license plate tag along with details of the vehicle including its make, model and color; and
- Pull over to a safe location and call 911.
If you or a loved one was injured by a drunk driver in Texas, contact the Robson Law Firm. An accident attorney will evaluate your case to determine if you have grounds for a claim. Call 512-345-8200 to schedule a free initial consultation with an injury lawyer in Austin.